L-Theanine may not be the talk of the town, but it SHOULD be. There are so many awesome benefits L-Theanine provides that it should be included in everyone’s daily routine. The many proven positives for L-Theanine actually make it an EXCITING nootropic! L-Theanine is unlike other nootropics in that it directly crosses the blood-brain barrier, AND it has other health benefits you probably haven’t heard about. Did you know it can lower blood pressure, reduce risk of cardiovascular disease, and even help the liver detox after alcohol consumption? L-Theanine is definitely worth seriously considering due to its numerous nootropic qualities and health-boosting benefits.
Summary of L-Theanine
L-Theanine is an amino acid not easy to get through a food source; it mainly can be found in certain teas and in some mushrooms. Theanine increases serotonin, dopamine, and GABA levels in the brain. It also promotes ALPHA wave production in the brain. It crosses the blood-brain barrier and directly affects brain function with certain psychoactive properties, such as reducing mental and physical stress and improving cognition. When taken with caffeine (as naturally occurs in green tea and coffee) it still improves mood and cognitive function, but it also enhances the positive effects of caffeine…while preventing the negative side-effects often associated with caffeine! (A total bonus.) L-Theanine is mostly used to control anxiety and blood pressure, and to improve mood and cognition. Another important benefit of L-Theanine is that it’s a powerful antidote to the effects of alcohol; it is able to restore glutathione in the liver, key to the liver’s ability to detoxify the body, and it helps to break down the free radicals caused by alcohol consumption. (A true hangover cure if there ever was one.)
Highlights of L-Theanine’s Effects
- Mood – L-Theanine reduces anxiety and promotes relaxation and positive mood.
- Cognition – L-Theanine is one of the few supplements available that crosses the blood brain barrier. It directly affects brain activity and can increase certain chemicals that directly affect memory and learning. L-Theanine also has neuro-protective properties. When combined with caffeine, cognitive performance is enhanced even more since L-Theanine boosts the mental effects of caffeine (focus, attention) while inhibiting caffeine’s negative effects (jitters, nervousness).
- Immunity – L-Theanine also has been shown to boost the body’s immunity by helping disease-fighting T Cells.
- Cardiovascular Health– L-Theanine is also a powerful antioxidant that improves cardiovascular health, reducing blood pressure and the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Liver Detox – L-Theanine helps the liver detox the toxic effects of alcohol consumption.
- Weight-Loss – When taken with a caffeine, which has weight loss properties, L-Theanine enhances the desired effects of caffeine, but inhibits the negative side-effects.
L-Theanine by itself is a TOP nootropic for mood improvement, since it decreases anxiety and stress and promotes calm peacefulness and positivity. It also boosts cognitive function in the areas of memory and learning. L-Theanine also has other health benefits, which include promoting cardiovascular health, boosting immunity, and helping the liver detox alcohol. When combined with caffeine, the brain-boosting effects of L-Theanine increase because the caffeine and L-Theanine work together synergistically. In the same way, the weight-loss qualities of caffeine are enhanced as well. And L-Theanine inhibits the negative side-effects of caffeine. L-Theanine – whether it’s by itself or l-theanine stacked with caffeine – is definitely one of the best nootropics for all around health benefits.
There are different ways to get L-Theanine and the health benefits that go along with it. Green tea is one way, and some black and white teas also contain L-Theanine plus caffeine. There are multi-supplements that include L-Theanine in the ingredients. L-Theanine alone can also be taken with a cup of coffee for the synergistic effects. There are several high quality straight L-Theanine supplements available. These can be taken alone or with other nootropics for added benefits. It is considered GRAS (Generally Regarded A Safe) by the FDA with dosages ranging from 200mg per day to 1200mg per day.